Turkish Red Lentil soup
This delicious and filling lentil soup is perfect for any occasion.
Serves: 3-5 | Estimated Time: 1 hour 20 min | Prep Time: 10 min
- 1 cup CLIC dried Red lentils (washed) or CLIC canned Red Lentils (rinsed and drained)
- ¼ cup Arbel fine bulgur wheat (rice as substitute)
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- Combine red lentils, bulgur wheat or rice, onion and water in a large pot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Boil until soft and creamy (approximately 1 hour). Add stock and simmer for 10 minutes. With a hand-blender, blend soup for 3-5 minutes on low until thoroughly mixed and smooth.
- In a small saucepan, heat butter until it becomes liquid. Stir in cayenne pepper or pepper flakes.
- When ready to serve, stir and remove soup from heat. Let rest for about 10 minutes, then ladle into bowls. Drizzle butter and cayenne pepper mixture over soup and add a small amount of lemon juice and cumin.