Syrah lentils, also known as French green lentils, have a unique and peppery taste that pairs wonderfully with vinaigrette.
Serves: 5-6 | Estimated Time: 25-30 min
- 300g lentils (brown or French green)
- 2 onions, very finely chopped
- 1 carrot, very finely chopped
- 1 branch celery, finely diced
- 1 bouquet garnish (3 blades of parsley, 1 bay leaf, 1 small split leek, and 2 blades of thyme tied together)
- 1 bottle of red wine
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 tbsp wine vinegar (or cider)
- 1 cup olive oil
- sea salt
- Combine all vinaigrette ingredients in a large bowl and whisk until smooth.
- In a large pot, gently cook chopped onions and carrot in a small amount of butter. Add lentils, mix and cover with red wine. Bring to a boil, skim and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and let simmer for approx. 20 minutes or until lentils begin to soften. Do not overcook. Remove from heat and drain. Set lentils aside in a large bowl to cool.
- Pour vinaigrette over cooled lentils. Serve immediately with poultry.