Punjab is world-renowned for its spicy curries, and here’s a simple and delicious one you can prepare at home. Careful, it’s hot!
Serves: 5-6 | Estimated Time: 15-20 min
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 hot pepper sliced
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp Curry powder
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 can (19oz) chickpeas
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped fresh coriander to decorate
- In a big pot, saute garlic, onion, and ginger in oil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add vegetable broth, chickpeas, bay leaves, hot peppers, cinnamon stick, coriander powder and curry. Mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 10 minutes while stirring. Remove from heat to allow to settle. Serve in individual plates and garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve with yogurt and fresh bread.
**You can replace the hot pepper with a sweet pepper to cut down on this dish’s heat.**