Lentil, Spinach, and Ricotta Lasagne
A healthier take on an Italian classic, this lasagne is easy to make and guaranteed to please at the dinner table.
Serves: 4-5 | Estimated Time: 35-40 min
- 2 cups of canned or pre-cooked CLIC Green lentils
- 200 g ricotta cheese, crumbled
- 500 g baby spinach, wilted or use frozen spinach (thawed)
- Juice of 3 (1/4 cup) limes
- Zest of 2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) dried red chilli flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups (750 mL) homemade tomato sauce
- 500 g dried lasagne sheets
- 500 g fat free cottage cheese
- 50 g grated parmesan cheese
Homemade tomato sauce:
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 800 g (2½ cups)canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) sugar
- 1 small handful fresh basil, chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- For the filling, in a large bowl combine the cooked lentils, ricotta cheese, spinach, lime juice, lime zest and dried chilli flakes. Mix well and set aside.
- For the tomato sauce, heat frying pan, add 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil. Fry onions and garlic until soft. Add tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Once the sauce starts to bubble, turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, add basil and season further to taste if necessary.
- Place a layer of tomato sauce at the bottom of a large baking dish. Add a layer of lasagne sheets, followed by a layer of lentil filling and a few dollops of cottage cheese. Repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used, ending with a layer of lentils.
- Top the lentils with the remaining cottage cheese and scatter with grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 180°C (350°F) oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the lasagne is cooked through and bubbling.
Pre-cooking dry CLIC Lentils: Rinse lentils and drain thoroughly. Place lentils in a large saucepan and cover with 3 cups (750 mL) water per 1 cup lentils. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until tender. Drain.